New Reception Intake
Admission to reception classes
The admission round for entry to reception classes in September 2021 is now open. The closing date for applications is 15 January 2021.
When does a child start school?
- If your child was born between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2017, they are due to start school in reception class in the school year starting September 2021. Children must be offered a full-time place from September 2021.
- Parents are entitled to defer their child’s admission or request that their child attend on a part-time basis. By law, children must start statutory education full-time no later than the beginning of the term following their fifth birthday.
- You will need to make an application for a reception class place, even if your child currently attends a nursery class at the same school
- Attendance at a nursery attached to a school, does not normally give you any priority for a place at that school
Make an application
If you apply online, decisions will available during the day on 16 April 2021 on the school admissions website.
If you complete a paper application form, we will send you a letter on 16 April 2021 by second class post, telling you the decision.
Information on admissions and schools in Norfolk
- For full information and frequently asked questions, download our parents’ guide to admissions to schools in Norfolk (pdf)
- See our detailed guide to primary and infant schools in Norfolk (pdf)
- Search and find details on the catchment school(s) for your address
- Download guidance on deferring your child’s reception place until the following year (pdf)
First admission to school timetable 2021-22
- Round opens - 28 September 2020
- Round closes - 15 January 2021
- National Offer Day when school place decisions are made available - 16 April 2021
- Appeals closing date - 14 May 2021
- Mini admission round to consider changes - 21 May 2021
- Appeals hearings - June/July 2021
- Waiting lists maintained until 31 December 2021